Thursday 18 April 2013

Opening Minds & Pursuit

The years 1983-86 were quite remarkable from a very personal perspective. Red Eagle encouraged me to begin meditation. I always found this very difficult but all he required really was me to learn to still my mind. I was also encouraged to keep a dream diary, even though I usually woke with little memory of them. But I did as he asked. Most often this conversation was a two-way thing with shelagh acting as the medium. All this, everything had come about since the recovery of her abduction memories. It had acted as a trigger that opened her to new sensory experiences. This in turn, I believe, affected me. I cannot recall the speed of the process but almost as soon as she established communication with Red Eagle, my own psychic abilities began to flower at a remarkable pace. Although I had never received much more than hunches and feelings before, suddenly I was seeing figures and other spectral imagery. I was getting brief, messages that I soon realised was communication. Within three months of Shelagh's hypnotic sessions I was working at the local Spiritualist Church and was began a brief but enjoyable career as a medium giving a wealth of accurate information to the living from the deceased. By this time those initially misty spectral images were now almost as solid to my vision as regular flesh and blood people. My mind had been opened to other worlds and other realities at an astonishing speed, but I wasn't swept away on this tidal rush of development, it seemed a natural pace and with Shelagh at my side, with her pretty much constant communication with my guides, none of this seemed to overwhelm me.

Then in the early hours of one morning, we both witnessed what at the time of it happening I assumed was a mind-blowing demonstration of power and manipulation over matter and reality. With no small amount of irony we had been to a very late showing of the recently released Twilight Zone - The Movie. A very good set of stories, and a film in which the actor, Vic Morrow, unfortunately lost his life in a helicopter incident.

This late showing ended at something like half-past midnight, and we decided to walk home rather than get a taxi, it was only a couple of miles from Reading town centre to our home. The route was along King's Road, a wide road with a central barrier down the centre. The only way to cross the road was by the designated crossings. the night was chilly, the air was crisp and the sky cloudless so far as we could tell. The sky wasn't too visible because of the street lighting which ran the whole of Kings Road. There was very light occasional traffic as you might expect for this time of night, and as we set off we chatted light-heartedly about the film before conversation went onto other random things, mostly about what we might do over the looming weekend.

We had walked for about 45 minutes when we became aware of footsteps behind us. quite a heavy man-like tread. Neither of us were aware of when the footsteps began following us, we just seemed to be conscious of them. I glanced over my shoulder but saw no one there, so put the effect down to echo in the almost silent main road. Continuing to chat with Shelagh I suddenly became aware that the steps didn't seem in sync with ours, as an echo might. I stopped suddenly, putting a hand on shelagh's arm to stop her. The footsteps continued for a further step, as though not expecting us to suddenly stop walking. I had spun round immediately, expecting to see someone standing behind us but there was nobody.

I told Shelagh what I had heard, she confirmed she had heard exactly the same. I retraced our path for the length of three houses, expecting to see someone lurking in a garden. But I returned to Shelagh, shaking my head and telling her I could see nobody. We pretty much shrugged the event off as our imagination and the silence playing tricks on us.

We began walking again and were soon back into nonsensical natter when all of a sudden we both heard the footsteps again, this time sounding closer. Undoubtedly someone or something was following us. I glanced over my shoulder but saw nothing. we stopped and immediately, the phantom steps also ceased. we decided the best thing to do was get home as quickly as we could. So we stepped up our stride and headed on for home. Ahead of us was a set of traffic lights, at a pedestrian crossing. Obviously with no traffic and no pedestrians, the lights were settled into green for the traffic. But then that all changed.

As we were walking towards the lights, and with the footsteps so close we should be able to hear and feel breathing down our necks, I suddenly noticed the air suddenly still and very silent. Until now there had been the sound of some distant traffic, but then that was gone and the air felt heavy and stifling. I mentioned this to Shelagh and she said she felt the same. She said the air 'didn't feel right.' Then as if her words were the cue, we saw the traffic lights ahead of us inexplicably switch from green, to amber then to red. I say inexplicably because surely that only happened when a pedestrian pressed a button indicating they wished to cross? We stopped dead in our tracks, (phantom footsteps also ceasing,) as the electronic pips sounded and the green man begin flashing - but, as I have already stated, nobody was there to press the button!

Then I saw a gigantic figure appear from nowhere, as though suddenly striding from behind a hidden screen I saw a dinosaur! The creature stood some seven or eight feet tall, was on two legs and bounded across the road in four or five strides. Back in the mid-80s there was little to compare this thing to, but now I would say it looked similar to a raptor in Jurassic park. a biped creature similar to that. It was a mottled green and brown, it's stride was quite astonishing, not only the length of it's stride but, and this struck us both most of all, it's highly flexible ankles, it's run was just like an ostrich! which in pre-CGI days was an awesome thing to behold.

The dinosaur bounded across the road and as it set foot on the opposite pavement it vanished as silently as it had appeared. Once it had vanished, the green man and electronic pips ceased and the lights casually returned to green for traffic. To say we were utterly gobsmacked is an understatement. I turned to Shelagh and asked
'did you see what I just saw?'
Shelagh looked me in the face, almost expecting me to tell her what she witnessed was a practical joke.
'I just saw a dinosaur.'
I nodded and told her I did. We walked forward slowly, almost as though expecting it to return and attack us at any moment. My God - we never have walked past a pedestrian crossing with so much intrepidation in our lives!

We continued on home, comparing notes and marvelling at what we had seen. Only after a further ten minutes did we notice the footsteps had also gone. They were no longer following us. So we continued on and eventually reached the house after a walk more eventful and bizarre than the film we had gone to see. as soon as we got home Shelagh used her witchcraft skills to erect a protection around the house. Protection or not, the following night even more bizarre was to come into the house.



No comments:

Post a Comment